Skip to main content

In pursuit of Happiness

When I was growing up, I could always tell when my father had something serious to talk about with me, because he’d ask me if I wanted to go out for a walk. He’d suggest it casually, like the idea had suddenly popped into his head, but I could always tell that he had planned it ahead of time. When I was about to leave for Kanpur, we went out for what would be the last of these talks, the one that he had prepared, I think, to launch me into adulthood. (We still go out for walks now, but we no longer have these lecture-style conversations.) On that walk he warned me. “Don’t expect,” he said, “to find your ultimate happiness in your relationships with others. God has not designed us to be fulfilled by one another; he has designed us to be fulfilled only by ourselves.”

I nodded earnestly, and in theory I agreed wholeheartedly with what he was saying, but it has taken me years to understand and appreciate that lesson. Some people say that the first year of college is the hardest. I find generalizations like that a little annoying, but in my case the first year was definitely the worst, because I was hashing out for myself the truth that doing well in education could not bring me the happiness for which we spend life searching. As I learned to turn inside for my answers, I relieved the pressure on myself, and I grew from nothing to someone who was formidable to live with.

Unfortunately, though I had learned the little lesson – that I would never be fulfilled by relationships alone – I didn’t learn the big lesson – that I will never be fulfilled by any earthly things. That truth has come upon me suddenly in the last few days, a challenge but also a life-preserver to which I cling gratefully.
“My ceaseless longing hid the deeper truth; in all my desirings, I was desiring You.” As I listened to those words, I realized that no relationship that I can have on earth, even the deepest, most loving relationships with my parents and siblings and spouse or even my own children, will ever give me what I am searching for. I will search fruitlessly until I look inside and ask from myself what I want, and I will live fruitlessly until I realize that truth in every moment.

I expect nothing. I am not afraid of getting hurt. I get hurt everyday. But since I do not acknowledge myself as hurt and do not show it off, I am not hurt. There are things people want and they geniunely believe that "them" will bring them happiness. I do not think that anything in the end can give one happiness. It's the journey which is about happiness. And though it is not happy right now, I sleep with a wish every night and I wake up with a desire every morning and though I might not be able to achieve what I set out for, I will someday make up for all I am missing.

Infact, I have realised that love means letting go and I now know what it is to let go. I know the pain and I know the emptiness. Yet, as long as "you" are happy I will continue to pretend that I am living as happily as possible.

Ending with something from Jagjit Singh:

Haath chhutey bhi to rishtey nahin chhoda karte,
Waqt ki shaakh se lamhe nahin todaa karte,
Jiski awaaz mein silwat ho, nigahon mein shikan,
Aisi tasveer ke tukde nahin jodaa karte.

Shahad jeene ka miltaa hai thodaa thodaa,
Jaanewaalon ke liye dil nahin thodaa karte,
Lag ke saahil se jo behtaa hai, usse behne do,
Aise dariyaa ka kabhi rukh nahin modaa karte.

Ab bas bahut huaa... kyoun.

Comments

sherene said…
Love the Jagjit Singh piece.

And I think, I would never forsake the pursuit of happiness; I believe there's a different form of happiness even in earthly things. For instance, to love and to be loved back - as earthly as it is, I think the happiness transcends the earthly state. Call me stupid and naive if you will, but such bliss I cannot let go off.
Teens to Toons said…
Sometimes I think that an emotional dependence, though it might be lots of pleasure, satisfying... is a weakness. It makes us humans afterall. But at this stage of life when I want to achieve, I seem to find the strength within myself. I would call you a human and nothing else for desiring what you want.
And Jagjit Singh makes me ME.

Popular posts from this blog

Raizada Heritage Fund and Trip to Woodlands

I have a confession to make. We don’t have a sofa at home. We seriously don’t.. Over the last two years, whenever Vartika has broached the touchy topic of a Sofa buy, I have ended up doing rants on how the money saved on not buying a Sofa would be able to feed us for a month, in case startup went bust. (And no, I was not counting on dumb UPA government allowing Sharad Pawar to make billions running amok on the vegetable and cereals market and looting us. In that case, count that sum to last for mere 15 days. That rant is for a separate day) Imagine a 30-40k sofa and me eating it, like the borers mostly do. Tough to imagine and sad to think of. So I return to the sofa tales. Vartika knew I had make her do with those mattresses. You know how dumb I am, relentlessly pointless. Unfortunately I ran into an Ariean, and that too my Mom. She looked at me and the mattresses and then again at me, and I went ballistic. From the sensibility of an accountant, to the eruditeness of an economist (De

Can life teach?

It actually began, quite reluctantly. Unnecessary as it may seem, life teaches you what you allow it to teach. Even Life cannot teach you what it offers you. One has to let himself dissolve into the experience and let it sink in, and that I might call religion or education. Whatever the other person is willing to accept. Nay. Does it matter? Nay. Life is about teaching oneself. Being a self-thought-taught "person", picking up bits and pieces from various experiences, I tread on a path; I have myself laid out for myself. Never have I asked, in other words, begged for words, from "messiahs". Never did I think myself of having enough virtue, call it patience, to learn from others. So "rich" were my experiences. Things change, dynamically. Responding to an open question, throwing caution to the winds, I immersed myself into a debate, with people who thought, had streamlined their thinking apparatus and abilities. Gradually, they pestered; read "lee

The void...

I feel empty. I feel raw. I feel rotten. I feel like not feeling. I have nothing to show, if someone to ask me about what I have achieved in my stay on this planet. Nothing. what is a few flirtations with literature, knowledge, pain and sweat. No blood. No tears. No medallions. No gallantry. Ah! I am disgusted with myself for being so ordinary. I deserve the void for I do not work half as hard as I could. I am wasting my life.