Skip to main content

Tired... too many conscience calls

It may sound absurd...but don’t be naive
Even heroes have the right to bleed
I may be disturbed...but won’t you concede
Even heroes have the right to dream
- OST Superman


Naivete. I am a bit sad today. Work is work is work.
I was having lunch when big boss came over. He asked me about how I was doing in life (not work).
So I told him that I am looking forward to do some trading. He asked me lots of stuff. I was even able to explain derivative and futures. Now he got excited. Then I told him about a few friends who have gotten into investment banking leaving their research mid-way. So he asked me where all have these people gone. I told him about the supposed dreamy creamy cushy jobs. He was like.. ahh and what do these people get paid. So I told him a figure which was some 20K higher than what I was told, just to impress him. He was like... bas! ... I was on the backfoot. I told him about zilch work experience and no idea of what they were going to do. I told him that I thought it was a nice salary. So he tells me that if you (that is me) does the same job in the company I am in, in the USA office.. I would be getting something like 80K. I was floored. I never knew I was worth that much. Anyway as long as I do not get that much, what's the point.
And then he went and asked me if they were comp sci majors. I said yes. He said whether they were into modeling and research. I said yes. Then he waved his hand and waxed eloquent about how they are not paid enough.
This from a guy who had not put up a fit in past one year. A person who knows much much more about my work. The fastest growing manager in my company. Tremendous guy with exceptional technical and managerial skills. Best part is his IITK lingo which comes on when I am in his company. And then his master stroke. Are you planning on moving on?
He is kind of a hero for me.
Anywayz that was that.
Yesterday was an experience that was repeated after a long time. It is a tad surprising that somebody who is lost himself should be approached for directions, though deep down I suspect that the gnawing need to be heard supersedes all logic. Listen I do, very patiently, throwing in my two cents worth.I am prone to reasonable bouts of sanity too. Hehe.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Raizada Heritage Fund and Trip to Woodlands

I have a confession to make. We don’t have a sofa at home. We seriously don’t.. Over the last two years, whenever Vartika has broached the touchy topic of a Sofa buy, I have ended up doing rants on how the money saved on not buying a Sofa would be able to feed us for a month, in case startup went bust. (And no, I was not counting on dumb UPA government allowing Sharad Pawar to make billions running amok on the vegetable and cereals market and looting us. In that case, count that sum to last for mere 15 days. That rant is for a separate day) Imagine a 30-40k sofa and me eating it, like the borers mostly do. Tough to imagine and sad to think of. So I return to the sofa tales. Vartika knew I had make her do with those mattresses. You know how dumb I am, relentlessly pointless. Unfortunately I ran into an Ariean, and that too my Mom. She looked at me and the mattresses and then again at me, and I went ballistic. From the sensibility of an accountant, to the eruditeness of an economist (De

Can life teach?

It actually began, quite reluctantly. Unnecessary as it may seem, life teaches you what you allow it to teach. Even Life cannot teach you what it offers you. One has to let himself dissolve into the experience and let it sink in, and that I might call religion or education. Whatever the other person is willing to accept. Nay. Does it matter? Nay. Life is about teaching oneself. Being a self-thought-taught "person", picking up bits and pieces from various experiences, I tread on a path; I have myself laid out for myself. Never have I asked, in other words, begged for words, from "messiahs". Never did I think myself of having enough virtue, call it patience, to learn from others. So "rich" were my experiences. Things change, dynamically. Responding to an open question, throwing caution to the winds, I immersed myself into a debate, with people who thought, had streamlined their thinking apparatus and abilities. Gradually, they pestered; read "lee

The void...

I feel empty. I feel raw. I feel rotten. I feel like not feeling. I have nothing to show, if someone to ask me about what I have achieved in my stay on this planet. Nothing. what is a few flirtations with literature, knowledge, pain and sweat. No blood. No tears. No medallions. No gallantry. Ah! I am disgusted with myself for being so ordinary. I deserve the void for I do not work half as hard as I could. I am wasting my life.