Skip to main content

I broke it....

It is a wonderful start to this new year. It's my birthday today and although it does not matter, I look back and see some amazing people and memories. It's kind of tough to type, as the thing that I have broken is my left hand. Hehe.

Last year, this time:
We were going out of our minds. I think I was reading “An Equal Music”. Cannot believe a year has gone by yet.

Last year, this time:
I stayed up half the night to make a special gift for Abhijeet, who has eventually moved on. I have not given it to him as of yet.

Last year, this time:
I watched from close quarters what chaos weddings can be. … I am still recuperating.

Last year, this time:
We celebrated the new year with a poof. A phone call was all that happened. This time it is the beach.


Last year, this time:
I walked around goofing half the day and should have ideally learnt from the folly. I haven’t.

Last year, this time:
All my pals were still living in and around India. Today they are scattered all over the world.

Last year, this time:
We were a no-care-in-the-world bunch. Now, it is time we start a married folks club.

The year went by so swiftly… I barely had time to weave a memory. But the wisps I managed to gather, tell me it has been one hell of a ride.

I am yet to realize what I set out for and though I always thought I could never go wrong, I have, in a way, that I have been deceiving myself. Those times when I made those promises to myself long back, I think I ought to cry for those wasted years. Trying to bear the shock of being separated from the people I loved, but then I think what’s the point in being sad, because I am nothing to you, although you all may be the world to me.


I do not fear anything if anyone among you still remembers me and even if you do, I do not care about it. There was this time when people knew “me” and now I do not know who I am myself. Now I think I have learnt from these experiences and would not make the same mistakes again. If a person can build his own destiny, I would prefer to erase everything and die in the wilderness.


Now the only thing I want from my life is that since I have to live with myself for whatever time I have to “serve” here, I want to know myself better. I don't want to stand with the setting sun and think of things I haven’t done. Whenever and wherever I go, I must be able to hold my head high. I want to deserve all men's respect; I want to be able to like myself. I want to look people in the eye and even though they might not know what I am and have been, I can never hide myself from me; I see what others may never see. I know what others may never know. I can never fool myself and do whatever happens, I want to be self respecting and conscience free.


Articulation has always been an elusive art. Every time I wanted to express a deep-set emotion, I have fallen smack on my face. This has been a continuous source of entertainment for a chosen few, who understand my flounderings as a genuine effort to communicate that have backfired. The rest think of me as this sometimes aloof and sometimes intensely talkative character who falters in jest. Yes dear people, I am actually a stonily morose person, trying to break the mold. The joke is not on me; at least I didn’t plan it that way.

Time and again, I have tried to re-invent the way I speak. There was this time I went out of my way to be as forthcoming as possible. It resulted in one angry friend, who thought I was stringing him along. He still does. The next time I decided to keep my trap shut… the result was an “iceman” title.

Diplomacy is another intangible that I need to decipher. To call a spade a spade is all-fine, but try calling a moron a moron and all hell breaks loose. Better still; try giving a woman a genuine comment. A colleague asked how her haircut looked; I said it looked like she was having a bad hair day. It was all said in the lighter vein. That was the last time she stopped by my desk.

Women are complex creatures; I have no hope of ever deciphering them. Men are just as bad. Human beings, I give up on you.

Wonder where all the fun has gone. Nothing amazes me more than the absolute ennui present in my life. I am trying real hard to have some fun, simulating others around me, but so far success has eluded me. Perhaps I am asking the wrong questions, but why am I here. All life has been spent in self-denial and anguish over what is and what has not been. Why am I afraid of people and of the fact that they might leave me, causing a pain unbearable? I hold onto my past and change, in a manner worse than a dying man yearning to live. Is this not death?

So now that the year is way behind and the new one is looking out, think of these for a change.


Tomorrow I will watch the morning sun shine and I will rise to be resurrected (metaphorically)...This one is going to be a watershed year. This one is going to be the one. This is the one. I have new goals and new approaches to take.
I should keep lesser expectations from self and yet I expect this. I am a contradiction and I am trying to resolve.. In words, I am fighting it out and not taking anything lying down...


Comments

borntodre@m said…
Many many happy returns of the day !

Popular posts from this blog

Raizada Heritage Fund and Trip to Woodlands

I have a confession to make. We don’t have a sofa at home. We seriously don’t.. Over the last two years, whenever Vartika has broached the touchy topic of a Sofa buy, I have ended up doing rants on how the money saved on not buying a Sofa would be able to feed us for a month, in case startup went bust. (And no, I was not counting on dumb UPA government allowing Sharad Pawar to make billions running amok on the vegetable and cereals market and looting us. In that case, count that sum to last for mere 15 days. That rant is for a separate day) Imagine a 30-40k sofa and me eating it, like the borers mostly do. Tough to imagine and sad to think of. So I return to the sofa tales. Vartika knew I had make her do with those mattresses. You know how dumb I am, relentlessly pointless. Unfortunately I ran into an Ariean, and that too my Mom. She looked at me and the mattresses and then again at me, and I went ballistic. From the sensibility of an accountant, to the eruditeness of an economist (De

Can life teach?

It actually began, quite reluctantly. Unnecessary as it may seem, life teaches you what you allow it to teach. Even Life cannot teach you what it offers you. One has to let himself dissolve into the experience and let it sink in, and that I might call religion or education. Whatever the other person is willing to accept. Nay. Does it matter? Nay. Life is about teaching oneself. Being a self-thought-taught "person", picking up bits and pieces from various experiences, I tread on a path; I have myself laid out for myself. Never have I asked, in other words, begged for words, from "messiahs". Never did I think myself of having enough virtue, call it patience, to learn from others. So "rich" were my experiences. Things change, dynamically. Responding to an open question, throwing caution to the winds, I immersed myself into a debate, with people who thought, had streamlined their thinking apparatus and abilities. Gradually, they pestered; read "lee

The void...

I feel empty. I feel raw. I feel rotten. I feel like not feeling. I have nothing to show, if someone to ask me about what I have achieved in my stay on this planet. Nothing. what is a few flirtations with literature, knowledge, pain and sweat. No blood. No tears. No medallions. No gallantry. Ah! I am disgusted with myself for being so ordinary. I deserve the void for I do not work half as hard as I could. I am wasting my life.