Skip to main content

A Writer's Burden

What words should convey”

A Critique on Writer’s Choice

Whenever I have been sentimotional, I always feel a presence. It persists while I become calm; the lips do not speak and yet convey, the closed eyes let me see. I am sure I imagine them or it or whatever. I read passionately, it is an obsession for me. I want to feel the world without making an effort to get up from my armchair. I want to feel the range of emotions, allowed to humans, but I do not want to interact, for I am not willing to hurt myself. I want to feel them impersonally, without letting anyone know, secretly. I wonder if it were possible.

I have my favorites. Most people have, but the best part is that these people let themselves be affected by them. I try my hardest to be affected. I love those, who let me dream, who let me be what I want to be, not preaching me neither walking me through. I want to be tickled in the most delightful of ways. Why should I accept anything less?

I feel a writer is an artist among others. Just like an artisan, poet, film maker, painter; a writer brings forth his creativity and ideology, in a different medium, in written words. A writer is an important individual in the whole setup of human society. Most people behave the way they do, because they have seen or read people behaving that way. They think that they ought to be as mystical or mysterious as the “ones”. Now an individual’s perception is a matter of great interest for it can provide an insight into one’s whole personality and behavior.

A writer must be careful as to suggest a change to that perception. The writer must write with an air of easiness and probably be more casual. The strong adjectives should be colored and the intent be a bit diluted. Let the reader be the one who decides for himself. Let the idea be there. Let there be analogies and the parallels for a reader to put his perspective over the skeleton of the writer’s idea and let it come alive. It would not be advisable for the writer to pace the words. Instead it would be advisable to let the reader decide on the pace, whether he wants to experience a lifetime in a second or a second in a lifetime.

The writer must not expect the reader to do justice to his words and thoughts. What the writer is writing is for him alone, and once they reach the reader, it is up to the reader. The only thought that I would want anyone to conclude is that the writer ought to understand that his only consolation is in the pleasure of his works and in release from the burden of his thought; and once it is released; he ought not care for whatever happens. It is like the pain of a mother who watches her babies grow and leave, sometimes not caring for her. Moreover, a writer must understand and discover new facets to issues, rather than pass judgments.

If I were one, I would let the idea seep in, take seed and BLOOM!!!
“Shoonya”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Raizada Heritage Fund and Trip to Woodlands

I have a confession to make. We don’t have a sofa at home. We seriously don’t.. Over the last two years, whenever Vartika has broached the touchy topic of a Sofa buy, I have ended up doing rants on how the money saved on not buying a Sofa would be able to feed us for a month, in case startup went bust. (And no, I was not counting on dumb UPA government allowing Sharad Pawar to make billions running amok on the vegetable and cereals market and looting us. In that case, count that sum to last for mere 15 days. That rant is for a separate day) Imagine a 30-40k sofa and me eating it, like the borers mostly do. Tough to imagine and sad to think of. So I return to the sofa tales. Vartika knew I had make her do with those mattresses. You know how dumb I am, relentlessly pointless. Unfortunately I ran into an Ariean, and that too my Mom. She looked at me and the mattresses and then again at me, and I went ballistic. From the sensibility of an accountant, to the eruditeness of an economist (De

Can life teach?

It actually began, quite reluctantly. Unnecessary as it may seem, life teaches you what you allow it to teach. Even Life cannot teach you what it offers you. One has to let himself dissolve into the experience and let it sink in, and that I might call religion or education. Whatever the other person is willing to accept. Nay. Does it matter? Nay. Life is about teaching oneself. Being a self-thought-taught "person", picking up bits and pieces from various experiences, I tread on a path; I have myself laid out for myself. Never have I asked, in other words, begged for words, from "messiahs". Never did I think myself of having enough virtue, call it patience, to learn from others. So "rich" were my experiences. Things change, dynamically. Responding to an open question, throwing caution to the winds, I immersed myself into a debate, with people who thought, had streamlined their thinking apparatus and abilities. Gradually, they pestered; read "lee

The void...

I feel empty. I feel raw. I feel rotten. I feel like not feeling. I have nothing to show, if someone to ask me about what I have achieved in my stay on this planet. Nothing. what is a few flirtations with literature, knowledge, pain and sweat. No blood. No tears. No medallions. No gallantry. Ah! I am disgusted with myself for being so ordinary. I deserve the void for I do not work half as hard as I could. I am wasting my life.