Skip to main content

A Season of Inadequacies

A lot of sleep and some crazy mathematics.A lot of orange juice and too little food.
Seems like yesterday when I defined the "Golden Rules" which I hadnever break, come what may. It seemed like crystallizing lessonslearnt from life. It seemed like I had all of it formulated. It seemedlike I had stand alone while others whithered. It seemed likehappiness to know where and what one stood for and what was worthfalling for.
Too many falls later, here I stand acknowledging a grudge againstlife. Very few things mattered and they all mattered like hell. Someother things mattered as well. But eventually they all let go of me,or rather I let go of them. Seems like meandering the course of life.But this time the rant is much more deserved.
I was talking to someone yesterday and they came to ask me, why did ittake me to say all the "norm" things. I wondered aloud, "norm". Sayswhom? Relationships are about getting the other person to respond in away you want them to, responding to the other person in a way theywant you to, isn't it? And they said, "Yes". I was terrified. whateverhappened to all those things that happen instantaneously, for one doesnot have to respond, for ones that happen because you are that way,things unknown unsaid. The chemistry as I gather better be aboutthings unsaid, emotions uncalled for, gestures happening on their own.
Been an ardent fan of chemistry. From polylactic acids to lignins, Ihave been there, but this is far more subtle. It might have escapedme. I seen people ooh-aahing in person, on phones, in books, inblogs... but they think thinking about it the same time, talking ofthe same issues is chemistry. Chemistry calls for unconditionalacceptance of the fact that the other person loves youunconditionally. It also deems a necessity of the fact that yourexistence is bound to someone else so securely that you need not lookback to see it bound and fastened, once so very often. It is aboutthat famous "leap of faith" idea that i keep harping about. It mightbe about experimentation but it has to have that spark which isinextinguishable.
There are relationships in which you do not have to think "what if" or"if he/she thinks this"... You just know whatever you are doing is ok.That relationship is the one you are looking for. Mebbe we are askingtoo much from this pitiful existence, but isn't this the big aim oflife. Isn't life supposed to provide us challenges that drive the fearour of our skins and hearts.
They asked me lately if I have written anything humorous. I want towrite funny but it is a tough ask. My current disposition does nothelp to think in pleasant funny terms. If one were to ask me who Iconsider the greatest writer, I would say, without any doubt,Wodehouse. If someone can write the way Wodehouse wrote, he ought tobe Nobel'ed. Nothing less would suffice. He makes me laugh till I acheinside. what is a greater proof. A saturnine personality like melaughing, It is a great achievement, the greatest appreciation. It iseasy to be pensive and dark. But silliness, funniness is difficult.
And then they sometimes ask me about myself. So as I say "Shoonya" isa paranoid succumbing to a rage that may or may not be murderous. Hethinks it takes forever to make his point. He loves every minute ofhis sardonic portrayal of life on life's fringes. And you can see him,as a modern archetype—a talented, disappointed man surrendering to ananger he cannot govern, an existential blackness he cannot understand.
On a happy note. No more poems.
Just one request. Go to smashits.com, search for "hamari" and listento "hamari atariya pe". If anyone has the same song by Begum Akhtar,send me the same. I had be thankful beyond belief. And if possible,try "sunte hain" by Jagjit Singh on the same site.
Till next time... if alive... we listen to the souless voices lappingthe shores of dying echoes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Raizada Heritage Fund and Trip to Woodlands

I have a confession to make. We don’t have a sofa at home. We seriously don’t.. Over the last two years, whenever Vartika has broached the touchy topic of a Sofa buy, I have ended up doing rants on how the money saved on not buying a Sofa would be able to feed us for a month, in case startup went bust. (And no, I was not counting on dumb UPA government allowing Sharad Pawar to make billions running amok on the vegetable and cereals market and looting us. In that case, count that sum to last for mere 15 days. That rant is for a separate day) Imagine a 30-40k sofa and me eating it, like the borers mostly do. Tough to imagine and sad to think of. So I return to the sofa tales. Vartika knew I had make her do with those mattresses. You know how dumb I am, relentlessly pointless. Unfortunately I ran into an Ariean, and that too my Mom. She looked at me and the mattresses and then again at me, and I went ballistic. From the sensibility of an accountant, to the eruditeness of an economist (De

Can life teach?

It actually began, quite reluctantly. Unnecessary as it may seem, life teaches you what you allow it to teach. Even Life cannot teach you what it offers you. One has to let himself dissolve into the experience and let it sink in, and that I might call religion or education. Whatever the other person is willing to accept. Nay. Does it matter? Nay. Life is about teaching oneself. Being a self-thought-taught "person", picking up bits and pieces from various experiences, I tread on a path; I have myself laid out for myself. Never have I asked, in other words, begged for words, from "messiahs". Never did I think myself of having enough virtue, call it patience, to learn from others. So "rich" were my experiences. Things change, dynamically. Responding to an open question, throwing caution to the winds, I immersed myself into a debate, with people who thought, had streamlined their thinking apparatus and abilities. Gradually, they pestered; read "lee

The void...

I feel empty. I feel raw. I feel rotten. I feel like not feeling. I have nothing to show, if someone to ask me about what I have achieved in my stay on this planet. Nothing. what is a few flirtations with literature, knowledge, pain and sweat. No blood. No tears. No medallions. No gallantry. Ah! I am disgusted with myself for being so ordinary. I deserve the void for I do not work half as hard as I could. I am wasting my life.