Skip to main content

“I asked him about his enemies. He began to count them. The list went on and on….”

Of all things, bright and sad, profound and shallow, clear and muddled, it is our negative experiences that drive our lives, our decision making. We try harder, to avoid such confrontations, such affairs. On a bright, sad afternoon, lying in an airy unoccupied room, I lay on clean white sheets, sighing from pain and fever, full of delusions, dreams gone wrong, friends lost and forgotten. I wanted to write. After a long time, I write. I want to write of profound beautiful things, but they escape me. So I woke up and sat myself straight.

In my mind was a friend, an unspeakably good soul, as troubled as was beautiful. I saw her standing next to any of the decrepit, rundown lanes of Bombay, speaking to a man, I had never seen before. I could tell from their faces and the way they shuffled their feet, that their lives were full of woe. And I am not guessing, I know. Life is an endless string of miseries, if one came to an end of one, there would be another waiting around the corner, and of bearing them became any easier, the next one would strike even harder, leaving us bare and creasing our faces, so that we all look alike.

The beauty of it all is that once we have seen some and even if misfortune came swiftly, first tip-toeing and then like a deluge, we make ourselves believe we knew it all along, hiding away from us, lying in wait for us, so we feel ready for it always. When the clouds of next new trouble descend on us, we feel alone, hopelessly alone and we still feel hopeful of finding happiness, if and only if we could find someone to share our miseries with.

For a moment, I believed that her misery was same as mine and if it weren’t the misery, it surely was the same world we inhabit. A world, which promises so little and consumes your soul, in a manner so humble that you feel like a hero. Later I could imagine her, waking up all beautiful, curls around her eyes, dancing a few steps on her own tune, cuddling a baby and talking to her softly as she drifted to sleep.

I felt close to her as if I was there with her in that room. It was not her beauty, nor her grace that made me want to embrace her, but the deep belief that they shared the same world and that by embracing her, I could make her believe the same. Soon I dreamt other things and when they happened, I realized that my understanding of the woman was coming to an end. Then I got up and saw that the rain that poured was thick and black, like the gutters of Bombay.

It was only later, wafting in and out of sleep, I realized that world is a test of faith and love and understanding. And that one must pay as much attention to books that go unnoticed and those that endure and pay as much attention to those who understand and those who don’t.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Raizada Heritage Fund and Trip to Woodlands

I have a confession to make. We don’t have a sofa at home. We seriously don’t.. Over the last two years, whenever Vartika has broached the touchy topic of a Sofa buy, I have ended up doing rants on how the money saved on not buying a Sofa would be able to feed us for a month, in case startup went bust. (And no, I was not counting on dumb UPA government allowing Sharad Pawar to make billions running amok on the vegetable and cereals market and looting us. In that case, count that sum to last for mere 15 days. That rant is for a separate day) Imagine a 30-40k sofa and me eating it, like the borers mostly do. Tough to imagine and sad to think of. So I return to the sofa tales. Vartika knew I had make her do with those mattresses. You know how dumb I am, relentlessly pointless. Unfortunately I ran into an Ariean, and that too my Mom. She looked at me and the mattresses and then again at me, and I went ballistic. From the sensibility of an accountant, to the eruditeness of an economist (De

Can life teach?

It actually began, quite reluctantly. Unnecessary as it may seem, life teaches you what you allow it to teach. Even Life cannot teach you what it offers you. One has to let himself dissolve into the experience and let it sink in, and that I might call religion or education. Whatever the other person is willing to accept. Nay. Does it matter? Nay. Life is about teaching oneself. Being a self-thought-taught "person", picking up bits and pieces from various experiences, I tread on a path; I have myself laid out for myself. Never have I asked, in other words, begged for words, from "messiahs". Never did I think myself of having enough virtue, call it patience, to learn from others. So "rich" were my experiences. Things change, dynamically. Responding to an open question, throwing caution to the winds, I immersed myself into a debate, with people who thought, had streamlined their thinking apparatus and abilities. Gradually, they pestered; read "lee

The void...

I feel empty. I feel raw. I feel rotten. I feel like not feeling. I have nothing to show, if someone to ask me about what I have achieved in my stay on this planet. Nothing. what is a few flirtations with literature, knowledge, pain and sweat. No blood. No tears. No medallions. No gallantry. Ah! I am disgusted with myself for being so ordinary. I deserve the void for I do not work half as hard as I could. I am wasting my life.