Skip to main content

Rationality oozed...

We were opposites. Our personalities – poles apart. Don’t tell me everyone is different. We were as different as different could be. Still, we befriended each other very quickly. And within a month, we became confidantes. An attraction developed. I’m not sure if it came from within or it was just natural. Nevertheless, the attraction prevailed and soon we talked. And, we proceeded to fall head over heels in love or was it pretension?

The image that I projected was not untrue. The truth was simply edited. I didn’t want to wash my dirty linen in public. Wasn’t it the politically correct thing to do?

I always talked about the good times.
What I never talked about were the painful times. I didn’t discuss it with my friends and kept it inside me.

I always given her credit for being supportive.
What I never talked about were the times that she was extremely judgemental. I always justified it and tried to change myself.


I always talked about how she understood me.
What I never talked about was how I explained myself to her repeatedly. I explained every thought, every action and every harmless whim of mine until she showed an iota of understanding.

I always talked about how good a person she was.
What I never talked about was how she indicated that I wasn’t good enough. I didn’t blame her. We were just brought up in different ways with different expectations.

When we went through rough times, I just told myself - “Of course we’ll work it out. After all – it’s US!”

We didn’t talk about our expectations from each other. We didn’t discuss our insecurities. And we always behaved politically correct – even with each other. That’s how we worked it out. I guess it was too early to discuss our expectations. I guess I always hoped the insecurities to fade away. As for being politically correct – I always thought that was the “right” thing to do.

"No relationship is perfect", I always told myself. "There's always a great deal of compromise."

I wasn’t strong enough to face the cold, hard facts. I couldn’t face being alone. I had grown accustomed to her. I was afraid that the ‘break-up’ would mean that I’d also lose the friend I had found in her. Even though all the odds were against us, I stuck on.

It wasn’t the distance that made us grow apart. That’s an easy excuse. We grew apart because we were different.

There were times that we just had to speak our minds shamelessly. At times I just needed to vent and wished that someone would “get me” without my paraphrasing every detail. The emails started growing shorter and slowly waned. At times I edited ‘cuz I was afraid she’d judge me. At times, I felt she wouldn’t care for the things I’d write so passionately about.

I justified and euphemized. It was just a phase. We were going to be together again very soon. We’d work out all our differences then.

I always talked about how we attracted as opposites. What I never talked about was how her respect for my differences started to dwindle.

But, when it was time to make concrete decisions, everything exploded. All the years of holding back finally ruptured. Expectations and assumptions were voiced. The blame – passed back and forth. We talked around in circles. I remember it as the single most agonizing and depressing time of my life. We decided that it couldn’t go on anymore.

It had been plain foolish to assume that we’d overcome every obstacle.

“Didn’t you think of these issues before?” I asked. There were times we did. But, neither of us could get ourselves to say the words.

I wish I had – I’d have saved myself a lot of pain. But, in a way I’m also glad I didn’t – I’d have missed out on a lot of happy times.

When that relationship was officially over – I felt sad and lost. My heart wrenched in pain. But, I finally felt like I could be myself again. I felt a sense of freedom, a sense of relief. I know it doesn’t sound very polite. But, I have found the strength to not be politically correct about it anymore.

Its okay not to be politically correct...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Raizada Heritage Fund and Trip to Woodlands

I have a confession to make. We don’t have a sofa at home. We seriously don’t.. Over the last two years, whenever Vartika has broached the touchy topic of a Sofa buy, I have ended up doing rants on how the money saved on not buying a Sofa would be able to feed us for a month, in case startup went bust. (And no, I was not counting on dumb UPA government allowing Sharad Pawar to make billions running amok on the vegetable and cereals market and looting us. In that case, count that sum to last for mere 15 days. That rant is for a separate day) Imagine a 30-40k sofa and me eating it, like the borers mostly do. Tough to imagine and sad to think of. So I return to the sofa tales. Vartika knew I had make her do with those mattresses. You know how dumb I am, relentlessly pointless. Unfortunately I ran into an Ariean, and that too my Mom. She looked at me and the mattresses and then again at me, and I went ballistic. From the sensibility of an accountant, to the eruditeness of an economist (De

Can life teach?

It actually began, quite reluctantly. Unnecessary as it may seem, life teaches you what you allow it to teach. Even Life cannot teach you what it offers you. One has to let himself dissolve into the experience and let it sink in, and that I might call religion or education. Whatever the other person is willing to accept. Nay. Does it matter? Nay. Life is about teaching oneself. Being a self-thought-taught "person", picking up bits and pieces from various experiences, I tread on a path; I have myself laid out for myself. Never have I asked, in other words, begged for words, from "messiahs". Never did I think myself of having enough virtue, call it patience, to learn from others. So "rich" were my experiences. Things change, dynamically. Responding to an open question, throwing caution to the winds, I immersed myself into a debate, with people who thought, had streamlined their thinking apparatus and abilities. Gradually, they pestered; read "lee

The void...

I feel empty. I feel raw. I feel rotten. I feel like not feeling. I have nothing to show, if someone to ask me about what I have achieved in my stay on this planet. Nothing. what is a few flirtations with literature, knowledge, pain and sweat. No blood. No tears. No medallions. No gallantry. Ah! I am disgusted with myself for being so ordinary. I deserve the void for I do not work half as hard as I could. I am wasting my life.