Skip to main content

A long held grudge - I was a fool all the way

It's a rather personal thing.

My family is an extended one. I have always felt that I have never recieved the appreciation that I deserve for all my small accomplishments from my dad. I love my Dad. But inspite of my "good" performances all my career, educationwise, sportswise, otherwise - dad never ever gave me the kind of appreciation that I have hungered for. My dad on such occasions always goes on a trip, talking about his younger brother, my chacha. He is also from IITK. A brilliant student althrough. A gold-medalist, a topper, a person who went on a full scholarship to London to do his MBA in 1978. He wrote his thesis by hand as he did not have enough money to get it typed and was awarded the best. One day he just shrank. My father always thought of his brother as the chosen one and he ended up as "nothing". He retired on a VRS with almost nothing to his name.
So whenever it comes to talking of deeds and potential, my father goes on one of those trips. And I have always hated it, because it usually comes at my expense. This time I went ballistic. I asked dad about all those times when he under-rated me, berated me infact. As a kid, I always had one of those complexes.
This one outburst of mine came at a time when I was contemplating the start-up. I always wanted my Dad to appreciate the fact that I was getting better and conquering my fears. And he went on that trip. I just could not hold it back. I have never been loud in front of Dad. That is kind of a family I come from.
So Dad got very nearly teary eyed. He told me of all things he wanted for his brother and how he was always let-down. He told me of how Chacha dulled inexplicably. No reasons whatsoever. The shoulders stooped, the confidence gone, nothing remained of his brother and he has seen him for the past 25 years like this. He told me of how he thinks that his brother has been a victim of "tonaa-totkaa". Now I had never heard anything like that ever, so absurd ever in my entire life in my family. Coming from my Dad, I was astounded, I was shell-shocked. For the first time I ever, I understood the trauma my Dad goes through. He says that there is no way a person can so drastically alter. He says that ever since that day, Chacha has never talked to hi, looking into his eyes, always avoiding him. Everybody has memories of Chacha being vibrant, talkative fellow and I have never seen anything ever like that in him. In the past two years, three different people, who practise this "tonaa-totkaa" thing and arewidely revered, have told Dad (by looking at Chacha's horoscope) that he is affected by someone. My Dad firmly believes in it now. He has incidents to quote and lots of similar incidents as well. Coming from Dad, it was unbelievable. He is a much more staunch rationally stable person that I am and I am too damn headstrong. I inherit that from him. All my bitterness left me.
I do not know whether Dad is right or wrong. It does not matter. It seriously does not matter. What matters is the unconditional love, he has for his brother. I had tears in my eyes and I just held them back. I so very wanted to give Dad a bearhug, but we are too sober for an emotional display. I just hope Chacha gets back to normal, just for Dad. Just for Dad.
Because whatever I might do, will never equal Chacha's thing. I just don't stand a chance. I hope I do my Dad proud and never let him down for all the support he has been to me and he is the world to me. ( I remember standing on Howrah station as a 16 year old waiting to go to IITK and Dad said to me, "Son, whatever happens in the world to you, you must always know that there are two people(Mom and Dad) who will always unconditionally accept you come what may."
I never feared for anything in life after that. The world has been a funny journey ever after.
Dad is dad is dad.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Raizada Heritage Fund and Trip to Woodlands

I have a confession to make. We don’t have a sofa at home. We seriously don’t.. Over the last two years, whenever Vartika has broached the touchy topic of a Sofa buy, I have ended up doing rants on how the money saved on not buying a Sofa would be able to feed us for a month, in case startup went bust. (And no, I was not counting on dumb UPA government allowing Sharad Pawar to make billions running amok on the vegetable and cereals market and looting us. In that case, count that sum to last for mere 15 days. That rant is for a separate day) Imagine a 30-40k sofa and me eating it, like the borers mostly do. Tough to imagine and sad to think of. So I return to the sofa tales. Vartika knew I had make her do with those mattresses. You know how dumb I am, relentlessly pointless. Unfortunately I ran into an Ariean, and that too my Mom. She looked at me and the mattresses and then again at me, and I went ballistic. From the sensibility of an accountant, to the eruditeness of an economist (De

Can life teach?

It actually began, quite reluctantly. Unnecessary as it may seem, life teaches you what you allow it to teach. Even Life cannot teach you what it offers you. One has to let himself dissolve into the experience and let it sink in, and that I might call religion or education. Whatever the other person is willing to accept. Nay. Does it matter? Nay. Life is about teaching oneself. Being a self-thought-taught "person", picking up bits and pieces from various experiences, I tread on a path; I have myself laid out for myself. Never have I asked, in other words, begged for words, from "messiahs". Never did I think myself of having enough virtue, call it patience, to learn from others. So "rich" were my experiences. Things change, dynamically. Responding to an open question, throwing caution to the winds, I immersed myself into a debate, with people who thought, had streamlined their thinking apparatus and abilities. Gradually, they pestered; read "lee

The void...

I feel empty. I feel raw. I feel rotten. I feel like not feeling. I have nothing to show, if someone to ask me about what I have achieved in my stay on this planet. Nothing. what is a few flirtations with literature, knowledge, pain and sweat. No blood. No tears. No medallions. No gallantry. Ah! I am disgusted with myself for being so ordinary. I deserve the void for I do not work half as hard as I could. I am wasting my life.